Autograph letters signed and initialled from John Payne Collier to various recipients
Scope and Contents note
216 mostly autograph letters signed and initialed; also, newspaper clippings. Letters contain numerous references to Collier's associations with the Camden Society, the Percy Society, and the Shakespeare Society. (216-223) are newspaper clippings, 1859-1860, discussing the authenticity of emendations in the Perkins Folio; with them is Collier's unpublished draft of his reply, March 25, 1860, to Sir Frederic Madden's letter in the Times. (37-119) are letters to Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth, Collier's "Dear young friend" of his old age, mostly consist of discussion of health issues and praise for Ebsworth's work. Collier's correspondence with W. Wardlaw Reid (156-169) is notable for several excisions and discussion of controversies.
Recipients: James W. Bailey, Robert Balmanno, E.J. Baverstock, Messrs. Bell and Daldy, W.C. Bennett, Philip Bliss, Henry Brown, Messrs. Chapman and Hall, William Chappell, Robert Cole, [George Cruikshank?], William Hepworth Dixon, Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth, Frederick Startridge Ellis, F.W. Fairholt, Edward Fordham Flower, Selina Flower, Fraser's Magazine, Horace Howard Furness, James Wyllie Guild, William Hone, Richard Hooper, Hugh Hopkins, [William Hunt], Clement Mansfield Ingleby, John William Jarvis, Swynfen Jervis, Edward Jesse, David Laing, Edward C. Lowe, Sir Frederic Madden, James Maidment, J.B. Nichols, Cornelius Paine, Thomas Joseph Pettigrew, William Pickering, George Pycroft, W. Wardlaw Reid, Edward F. Rimbault, Thomas Rodd, Henry F. Sewall, Richard Herne Shepherd, Frederic Shoberl, Alexander Smith, Charles W. Stearns, Thomas George Stevenson, Mr. Stock, [Alfred Dixon?] Toovey, W. Tyson, W. Brownlow Waight, Henry Benjamin Wheatley, Thomas Wright, and unidentified persons.
Item level description provided for most letters.
- Majority of material found within Bulk, 1830-1882
- Collier, John Payne, 1789-1883 (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Collection is open for research.
Letters written by John Payne Collier, mostly from later in his life. Also, newspaper clippings about the forgery controversy. Items not collected together until Folger staff created this collection.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by recipient and then chronologically.
Items acquired at various times from various sources. See item level descriptions for accession information.
Some letters were removed from books. At least two of these books, The poet's pilgrimage, cataloged as W.a.174, and Strictures on Mr. Collier's new edition of Shakespeare, cataloged as PR3071 .D85, are held by the Folger.
PR3071 .D85: https://catalog.folger.edu/record/31255
For the collection-level record, and / or to conduct additional research in the catalog, see https://catalog.folger.edu/record/191307
Processed by Folger Shakespeare Library staff.
Finding aid prepared by Ashley S. Behringer, September 2011.
- Alleyn, Edward, 1566-1626 -- Manuscripts
- Bailey, James W.
- Balmanno, Robert, 1780-1861
- Baverstock, E. J., 19th century
- Bell and Daldy
- Bennett, W. C. (William Cox), 1820-1895
- Bliss, Philip, 1787-1857
- Brown, Henry, 19th cent.
- Bunyan, John, 1628-1688 -- Manuscripts
- Camden Society (Great Britain)
- Chapman and Hall
- Chapman, George, 1559?-1634 -- Manuscripts
- Chappell, W. (William), 1809-1888
- Churchyard, Thomas, 1520?-1604 -- Manuscripts
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Cole, Robert, 19th cent.
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor, 1772-1834 -- Manuscripts
- Collier, John Payne, 1789-1883 -- Manuscripts
- Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878
- Dixon, William Hepworth, 1821-1879
- Drayton, Michael, 1563-1631 -- Manuscripts
- Dyce, Alexander, 1798-1869 -- Manuscripts
- Ebsworth, Joseph Woodfall, 1824-1908
- Edward III (Drama)
- Ellis, Frederick Startridge, 1830-1901
- Fairholt, F. W. (Frederick William), 1814-1866
- Flower, Edward Fordham, 1805-1883
- Flower, Selina, -1884
- Forman, Simon, 1552-1611 -- Manuscripts
- Furness, Horace Howard, 1833-1912
- Greene, Robert, 1558?-1592. Menaphon
- Guild, James Wyllie
- Hone, William, 1780-1842
- Hooper, Richard, 1821-1894
- Hopkins, Hugh, active 19th century
- Hunt, William Oakes, 1795-1873
- Ingleby, Clement Mansfield, 1823-1886
- Jarvis, John William, active 19th century
- Jervis, Swynfen, 1797-1867
- Jesse, Edward, 1780-1868
- Laing, David, 1793-1878
- Letters (correspondence)
- Literary forgeries and mystifications
- Lowe, Edward C. (Edward Clarke), 1823-1912
- Madden, Frederic, 1801-1873
- Maidment, James, 1793-1879
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Nichols, J. B. (John Bowyer), 1779-1863
- Nineteenth century
- Paine, Cornelius, 1809-1890
- Percy Society
- Pettigrew , Thomas Joseph, 1791-1865
- Pickering, William, 1796-1854
- Pycroft , George, 1819-1894
- Reid, W. Wardlaw, 19th cent.
- Rimbault, Edward F. (Edward Francis), 1816-1876
- Rodd, Thomas, 1796-1849
- Sewall, Henry F., 1816-1896
- Shakespeare Society (Great Britain)
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Criticism and interpretation -- Manuscripts
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Forgeries -- Manuscripts
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Portraits -- Manuscripts
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Monuments -- Manuscripts
- Shepherd, Richard Herne, 1842-1895
- Shoberl, Frederic, 1775-1853
- Smith, Alexander, fl. 1875-1905
- Southey, Richard, Sir, 1808-1901 -- Manuscripts
- Spenser, Edmund, 1552?-1599 -- Manuscripts
- Stearns, Charles W. (Charles Woodward), 1818-1887
- Stevenson, Thomas George
- Stock, Mr., 19th cent.
- Toovey, Alfred Dixon, active 19th century
- Tyson, W., 19th cent.
- Waight, W. Brownlow, 19th cent.
- Wheatley, Henry B. (Henry Benjamin), 1838-1917
- Wright , Thomas, 1810-1877
- Guide to Autograph letters signed and initialled from John Payne Collier to various recipients, 1824-1882 (bulk 1830-1882) Folger MS Y.c.1055 (1-224)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Folger Shakespeare Library Repository
201 E. Capitol St. SE
Washington DC 20003 USA