Edwin Booth autograph correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the call numbers Y.c.215 (1-534).
The collection consists of autograph letters from Edwin Booth to various recipients, with more than half addressed to William Winter (204-510; 534). Many letters are theater related, with discussions of Booth's American and European tours, theater management, and financial troubles. Booth also comments on the difficulties of a stage career, his troubled second marriage to Mary McVicker, and mixed coverage in the press. A number of letters concern Shakespeare, with mentions of Booth's restoration of Shakespeare's texts for Richard III and King Lear (42, 86, 135, 247, 256, 524) and collaborations on acting editions, first with Henry L. Hinton (118-125) and later with William Winter on The prompt book series.
The collection also includes a playbill for Booth's premiere in Richard III (93) and a ticket to his funeral, addressed to Adam Badeau (26).
- Booth, Edwin, 1833-1893 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Letters from Edwin Booth to various recipients. A large portion of the letters (approximately 307 items) are addressed to theatre critic William Winter.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by recipient, when known, and chronologically under each recipient.
Existence and Location of Copies
Item Y.c.215 (534) available on Microfilm (FILM Fo. 121.16a). Item Y.c.215 (6a & b) available as digital reproduction in Luna (https://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/s/um93wq).
For the collection-level record, and / or to conduct additional research in the catalog, see https://catalog.folger.edu/record/230920.
- Badeau, Adam, 1831-1895
- Barrett, Lawrence, 1838-1891
- Botta, Anne C. Lynch (Anne Charlotte Lynch), 1815-1891
- Brachvogel, Udo, 1835-1913
- Brown, T. Allston (Thomas Allston), 1836-1918
- Carryl, Charles E (Charles Edward), 1841-1920
- Cist, Lewis J. (Lewis Jacob), 1818-1885
- Clarke, Creston, 1865-1910
- Daly, Augustin, 1838-1899
- Dawson, Andrew H. H., 1819-
- Doremus, Sarah Platt, 1803-1877
- Ewer, Ferdinand C. (Ferdinand Cartwright), 1826-1883
- Fawcett, Owen, 1838-1904
- Field, Henry M. (Henry Martyn), 1822-1907
- Flower, C. E. (Charles Edward), 1830-1892
- Ford, John Thompson, 1829-1894
- Francis, Valentine Mott, 1834-1907
- Furness, Horace Howard, 1833-1912
- Grau, Maurice, 1849-1907
- Green, Jesse Cope, 1817-1920
- Griffin, G. W. (Gilderoy Wells), 1840-1891
- Grossman, Edwina Booth, 1861-
- Hale, William Gardner, 1849-1928
- Hepworth, George H. (George Hughes), 1833-1902
- Hinton, Henry L., 1840-1913
- Hoffman, John T. (John Thompson), 1828-1888
- Howard, George H.
- Hutton, Laurence, 1843-1904
- Ingersoll, Robert Green, 1833-1899
- Keene, T. W. (Thomas Wallace), 1840-1898
- Lander, J. M. (Jean Margaret), 1829-1903
- Letters (correspondence)
- Nineteenth century
- Osgood, James R. (James Ripley), 1836-1892
- Osgood, Samuel, 1812-1880
- Palmer, Albert Marshman, 1838-1905
- Robertson, Richard A., -1891
- Stedman, Edmund Clarence, 1833-1908
- Stringer, George Alfred, -1923
- Ticknor, Howard Malcolm, 1836-1905
- Townsend, George Alfred, 1841-1914
- Warner, Charles Dudley, 1829-1900
- Winter, Elizabeth C. (Elizabeth Campbell), 1841-1922
- Winter, William, 1836-1917
- Edwin Booth autograph correspondence
- Finding aid prepared by Nadia Seiler and Rebecca Hranj, 2011-2012; revised 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020-05-06: Minor edits made to conform to ArchivesSpace model upon ingest.