Stratford and Warwickshire References in the Art, Manuscript, and Scrapbook Collections
Scope and Content
This collection primarily contains the call number ranges ART vol. d58-d85, C.b.18-20, N.b.44-46, S.a.115-116, V.b.66-67, V.b.84-88, W.a.313-314, W.b.85-90, W.b.119-122, Y.c.619-620, Y.d.68-69, Z.e.7-10, and Scrapbooks B.13, B.119, B.124-125, C.10-12, C. 17, D.8, and D.9, plus a few other individual items outside these call number ranges.
This finding aid provides descriptive entries for all manuscripts in the Folger collection that mention Stratford-on-Avon or Warwickshire.The guide also identifies the hands of writers and copyists, provides full identification of mentioned names, and cross-references Folger manuscripts with copies at the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. While shelfmarks and titles have been checked for accuracy, this record contains unverified data from a re-keying contract and may contain incorrect or incomplete text. Please consult Curator for assistance.
Many of the manuscripts are 19th century correspondence. James Orchard Halliwell-Phillips is particularly well represented, with numerous letters and scrapbooks. Also included are muniments of title, deeds, leases, and bills stretching back to the 16th century.
Scrapbooks have not been catalogued. This finding aid does not list the entire contents of the scrapbook, unless otherwise noted.
Art Volumes have been only partially catalogued. Not all items in the have been catalogued individually. Some items pasted over by Halliwell-Phillipps have now been uncovered.
- ca. 1560 - ca. 1930
149 manuscripts/scrapbooks spanning the Folger collection
Language of Materials
This finding aid provides descriptive entries for all manuscripts in the Folger collection that mention Stratford-on-Avon or Warwickshire. The guide also identifies the hands of writers and copyists, provides full identification of mentioned names, and cross-references Folger manuscripts with copies at the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.
This finding aid spans the entire collection of the Folger collection. References in manuscript collections are roughly arranged by date. The date of the earliest manuscript in the collection is used. Miscellaneous manuscripts, scrapbooks, and art volumes are grouped separately.
- Guide to Stratford and Warwickshire References in the Art, Manuscript, and Scrapbook Collections, ca. 1560 - ca. 1930
- Processed by Mairi Macdonald, Deputy Head of Archives at the Shakespeare Centre, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2003: Text converted and initial EAD tagging provided by Apex Data Services. Additional revisions entered by Michael Poston.
- 2004-03-23: PUBLIC "-//Folger Shakespeare Library//TEXT (US::DFo::various shelfmarks::)//ENG" "dfostrat.sgm" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- 2020-07-27: Minor edits made to EAD to allow import into ArchivesSpace.